Thursday, October 22, 2009

New Species!

I was just pining for a new species the other day, and I got what I wished for. Our yard has ugly black plastic apparently used as a weed barrier that shows when the dirt washes away. I bent down to rip off the plastic, when I saw something that at first I thought was a worm. Its head was buried in the dirt and it tried crawling under a stepping stone. I tried scooping dirt off with a stick to get a better look. Just then I noticed a deer, that stomped at me, like "Hey! This is my territory.". After my new species disappeared, I stood up and the deer made its alarm call to the other deer and ran off. I think the new species was a salamander. The closest thing I can find on the internet that looks like it is the Redback Salamander. It had a reddish brown stripe down its back, sort of the color of the clay around here. I never did see its head, but now I know its hiding place.

No comments: