Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Sad news

Today I found a dead chipmunk in the pond. I'm not sure if it drowned or was being stalked by a fox and leapt into the pond to escape being eaten. The slabs of rock that make up the fountain were knocked over. But they had been like that a few days, and the chipmunk looks like it recently died, like maybe today. Poor guy. I guess it didn't know how to swim because the ladder is still in the pond that Leotis put there when he was afraid last year's fox baby died of drowning. I think it might have been a baby chipmunk. It wasn't that big, although I'm sure a chipmunk would look smaller when wet. But still, it looked like maybe it was a male that hadn't fully developed yet. We could have set it out for the foxes to eat, but we buried it in the yard and put an iris on top. :( Also, Leotis had seen 2 hawks, so we wondered if a hawk caught it and dropped it in the pond.

No comments: